Fun Activities for the Kids for free!!
- Coillte Forest Parks – Explore Irelands biggest playgrounds.
Location: various around Ireland
Make sure you bring a picnic.
For more information go to https://www.coillte.ie/our-forests/explore/
Note: some parks have a car parking charge but there are many free access sites
2. National Museums of Ireland
The National Museum of Ireland provides a wide variety of learning resources and activities across four sites.
There is free admission to all four sites.
For more information go to https://www.museum.ie/Home
3. OPW Heritage Sites – Free first Wednesday of every month
During the Summer months, most OPW Heritage sites are free to visit on the first wednesday of each month. Tickets are allocated on a first come, first served basis.
- Cork Charles Fort, Desmond Castle (French Prison), Ilnacullin (Garinish Island)
- Donegal Donegal Castle, Glebe House and Gallery
- Dublin The Casino, Marino, Dublin Castle, State Apartments, Kilmainham Gaol
- Galway Athenry Castle, Aughnanure Castle, Dún Aonghasa, Portumna Castle and Gardens, Patrick Pearse’s Cottage (Teach an Phiarsaigh)
- Kerry Ardfert Cathedral, Derrynane House, National Historic Park, Ionad an Bhlascaoid Mhóir, The Blascaod Centre, Ross Castle
- Kildare Castletown
- Kilkenny Dunmore Cave, Jerpoint Abbey, Kilkenny Castle
- Laois Emo Court
- Leitrim Parke’s Castle
- Limerick Adare Castle
- Louth Old Mellifont Abbey
- Mayo Céide Fields
- Meath Battle of the Boyne – Oldbridge Estate, Brú na Bóinne Visitor Centre (Newgrange and Knowth) Please note that the monuments can only be accessed via the Visitor Centre. A: Exhibition B: Exhibition & Newgrange C: Exhibition & Knowth D: Exhibition, Newgrange & Knowth Hill of Tara Trim Castle (including keep) Trim Castle (excluding keep)
- Offaly Clonmacnoise
- Roscommon Rathcroghan
- Sligo Carrowmore Megalithic Cemetery Sligo Abbey
- Tipperary Cahir Castle, Rock of Cashel, Roscrea Heritage (Castle and Damer House) and the Blackmills Swiss Cottage
- Waterford Reginald’s Tower
- Wexford John F. Kennedy Arboretum, Tintern Abbey
- Wicklow Glendalough Visitor Centre
For more information go to http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/media/Microsoft%20Word%20-%20Free%20Wednesdays%20March%202018.pdf
4. Waterford / Mayo Greenways
Walk or Hire a bike and explore Waterford’s Great Southern or Mayo’s Great Western Greenways.
With Depots, free shuttle service (Waterford) and breakdown assistance available (check with your local hire).
5. Wild Atlantic Way
Discover the Wild Atlantic Way.
Explore 9 counties along this unforgettable coastal touring route to enjoy breathtaking scenery and exceptional experiences.
For more information go to https://www.wildatlanticway.com/home